The roof is probably the most important part of a building because it protects or affects its entire structure; this is why you must constantly keep an eye on it, schedule inspections and identify any small problems and needed repairs before the damage becomes too big and too expensive, affecting your living space.
Leaks are only one of the reasons why you may need a roof repair; a roofing problem doesn`t always start as a leak, and this is why overlooking the other possible reasons translates into increasing the chance of damage.
What are the factors that may threaten the performance of your roof?
A good roof consists of a support of rafters or trusses, layers of roof sheathing and insulation, shingles and flashing. Damage may occur anytime, in any of these elements, due to different weather conditions, nearby vegetation, wildlife or man`s activity. Sometimes the damage is minor, but the sooner you detect it the better. This is why inspecting your roof twice a year is essential; given the climate in Fayetteville, specialists typically recommend inspections in the spring and fall.
Here are a few reasons to hire Fayetteville roofing companies to perform repairs on your roof:
- Damaged roofing material
- Mold and mildew in your walls or attic
- Missing shingles or gaps from metal flashing, which allow insects and small wildlife to penetrate and damage the roof`s structure
- Any other splits, cracks and holes that may compromise the shingle barrier and allow water infiltrations
- Rips in the surface of the vapor barrier
- Missing or warped metal flashing
- Hanging gutters that may take down with them other roofing material
- Many shingle granules scattered in the gutters and even all over your yard (however, small quantities of granules should not constitute a reason to worry because it is a sign of the natural wear-and-tear)
- A roofing surface that looks uneven, as this may be a sign of shingles that pop up due to hail impact, or a problem with ventilation in your attic that has to be addressed correctly so that the temperature stays below 120 degrees
- Loss of energy efficiency translated into higher energy bills
- The age of your roof (common roofs are designed to last 20-25 years, but there are also materials that come with 50+ year warranty)
Any of these problems may ruin your home, sometimes even without your knowledge, so quickly identifying small issues during periodic inspections means that you can prevent extensive damage, very costly repairs and even roof replacement, so the experts roofing Fayetteville AR homes say.
Besides regular inspections, the performance of your roof also depends on proper maintenance. Cleaning the mold and mildew, the ventilation system, painting the exposed metal, sealing pipes and vents, removing debris from the gutters – these are maintenance operations that should be performed annually. In some degree, they can constitute do-it-yourself operations, but building owners should also consider professional services provided by Fayetteville roofing companies at least once in a while, if only to be sure that they didn’t miss anything.